Date of birth: 04/06/1987
Phone: +86 18859822190
Residential address: 1 International University Park Road, Dayun New Town, Longgang District, Shenzhen, Guangdong Province, P.R. China
Doctor of Science (2018-2022)
Major: Biological Science
Lomonosov Moscow State University
Joint Master Program by Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS) (2012-2014)
- Major: Environmental Science
Institute of Urban Environment, CAS
Master of Engineering (2011-2014)
- Major: Environmental Engineering
Fujian Normal University
Bachelor of Engineering (2007-2011)
- Major: Water Supply and Sewerage Engineering
Fujian University of Technology
Graduate Research (Supported by The Foundation of Fujian ‘‘Minjiang Fellowship’’) (2011-2012)
Title: Simultaneous removal of mixed contaminants Cu (II) and nitrate from solution using kaolin-Fe/Ni bimetallic nanoparticles
My assignment include:
- A novel material, kaolin-Fe/Ni nanoparticles, were prepared and applied to removing Cu2+ and NO3- in aqueous solution simultaneously. Atomic Absorption Spectroscopy (AAS) was employed to measure the concentration of Cu2+ in the aqueous solution, whereas the concentration of NO3- was determined by Ultraviolet Spectroscopy (UV).
- Influences of other anions (e.g., Cr2O72-, NO2-, SO42- or Cl-) on simultaneous removal of Cu2+ and NO3- from aqueous solution using kaolin-Fe/Ni nanoparticles.
- Effects of other heavy-metal ions (e.g., Cr3+, Cd2+, Zn2+ or Pb2+) on simultaneous removal of Cu2+ and NO3- from aqueous solution using kaolin-Fe/Ni nanoparticles.
Joint Research Program between Institute of Urban Environment (IUE, CAS) and Fujian Normal University (2012-2014)
Title: Degradation of emerging contaminants using based-iron nanoparticles
My assignment include:
- I compared bimetallic Fe-Pd, Fe-Ni nanoparticles and monometallic Fe0 nanoparticles concerning degradation of triclosan in water solution. In this experiment, the concentration of triclosan was qualified and quantified by Liquid Chromatography (LC), and the by-products were identified by Gas Chromatography-Mass/Mass Spectrometry (GC-MS/MS).
- Fe-Pd alloy nanoparticles performed the best behavior of the three iron-based nanomaterials (e.g., Fe-Pd, Fe-Ni and Fe0 nanoparticles) towards triclosan degradation. The experimental conditions of triclosan degradation were optimized.
Natural Science Foundation of Fujian Province, China (2011J05035) (2012-2013)
Title: Green synthesis of silver NPs using tea leaf extract
My assignment include:
- I prepared green-tea extract to synthesize silver nanoparticles (NPs) successfully.
- Stability of silver NPs was studied and examined, in which the concentration of NPs-released silver ions was detected by ICP-MS or ICP-OES.
- Antibiotic effect of tea-synthesized silver NPs against Escherichia coli was studied in comparison to the antimicrobial activities of silver ions, PVA-coated silver NPs and exposed silver NPs.
Hundred Talents Program of Fujian Province, China, National Natural Science Foundation of China (31370503, 41573102) (2014-2016)
Title: Application of nanoscale zero valent iron (nZVI) and iron powders during sludge anaerobic digestion: Impact on methane yield and pharmaceutical and personal care products (PPCPs) degradation
My assignment include:
- I designed innovative facilities for anaerobic fermentation of sludge.
- I compared nZVI with iron powders on the degradation rate of pharmaceuticals and personal care products (PPCPs) in the process of sludge fermentation under anaerobic condition.
Joint Research Program between Lomonosov Moscow State University and Shenzhen MSU-BIT University (2018-2012)
Title: The quantitative biotests for a broad range of surfactant-based detergents ecotoxicity using terrestrial vascular higher plant species: Len culinaris & Vigna radiata
Title: Development of the theory of water self-purification at Moscow University and prospects for its application in China
Doctor assignment include:
- I discussed and designed the plant biotests for the ecotoxicity of various detergents with Professor Sergei A. Ostroumov.
- I did batches of experiments for the ecotoxicity tests using two plant species, like Len culinaris & Vigna radiata.
- The quantitative data of biotesting results were analyzed using different computational models, and graphed using various figures.
- Loads of referenced articles that I have read were in relation to the representative topics, such as hazard assessments of detergents, detergent remediation using phyto-methods, toxicity tests of detergents/surfactants, significant roles of wetland in equilibrating and maintaining regional or global ecosystem, the theory and practice of water self-purification, and so on.
- I authored and co-authored many (at least 5) publications with Professor Sergei A. Ostroumov.
Research Techniques & Skills
- LC-MS/MS: Detecting the trace amount of PPCPs, e.g., triclosan, and indicating the by-products of triclosan
- GC-MS/MS: Identifying the degradation products of triclosan
- XRD: Characterizing the surface of iron-based nanoparticles to reveal the presence of Fe0 metallic crystals and other crystalline formations of iron-compounds; corroborating the presence of Ag0 synthesized by green-tea extract
- XPS: Analyzing the different iron-forms on the surface of iron-based nanoparticles, and other polyvalent pollutants
- ICP-MS/OES: Tracking the trace amount of heavy metal ions and the ppm-level concentrations of heavy metals
- TEM/SEM: Imaging the nano-particulate morphology and analyzing size of my iron-based nanoparticles
- RS: determining the basic components (e.g., the types of surfactants) of commercial detergents with Raman Spectroscopy (RS)
- FM: observing and imaging extracellular or intracellular damages at the living cell level of root tips and segments using Fluorescence Microscopy (FM)
- Experimental synthesis of iron-based nano-materials (e.g., bimetallic Fe-Ni, Fe-Pd nanoparticles and monometallic Fe0 nanoparticles, etc.)
- Biotesting analysis of ecotoxicity induced by surfactant-based detergents in water solution using plant species like Len culinaris & Vigna radiata.
- Root length measured by an electronic caliper and the measurable results treated by statistical software in terms of random patterns and the normalized distributions.
English Publications & International Conferences
- Xiang Cai, Ying Gao, Qian Sun, Zuliang Chen, Mallavarapu Megharaj, Ravendra Naidu, 2014, Removal of co-contaminants Cu (II) and nitrate from aqueous solution using kaolin-Fe/Ni nanoparticles, Chemical Engineering Journal, 244, 19-26. (Published)
- Qian Sun, Xiang Cai, Jiangwei Li, Min Zheng, Zuliang Chen, Changping Yu, 2014, Green synthesis of silver nanoparticles using tea leaf extract and evaluation of their stability and antibacterial activity, Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects, 444, 226-231. (Published)
- Min Lv, Qian Sun, Anyi Hu, Liyuan Hou, Jiangwei Li, Xiang Cai, Chang-Ping Yu, 2014, Pharmaceuticals and personal care products in a mesoscale subtropical watershed and their application as sewage markers, Journal of Hazardous Materials, 280C, 696-705. (Published)
- Fidèle Suanon, Qian Sun, Mingyue Li, Xiang Cai, Youchi Zhang, Yijun Yan, Cheangping Yu, 2017, Application of nanoscale zero valent iron and iron powder during sludge anaerobic digestion: Impact on methane yield and pharmaceutical and personal care products degradation, Journal of Hazardous Materials, 321, 47-53. (Published)
- Xiang Cai, Sergei A. Ostroumov, 2020, Bioassay of “Tide Color” powder laundry detergent using Lens culinaris, Ecologia, 27, 395-400. (Published)
- Xiang Cai, Sergei A. Ostroumov, 2021, Finding of toxicity of herbal shampoo to plant seedlings: phytotest of mixture product that contains membranotropic chemicals as components, Ecologia, 28, 6-10. (Published)
- International Conference on Environmental Pollution and Public Health in Shanghai (China), April, 2014. (Oral and Poster Presentation)
- Report for The International Program of Ecology School organized by Siberian Federal University (SFU) in Krasnoyarsk (Russian Federation), 2016. (Oral Presentation)
- International Symposium on Biogeochemical Innovations in The Conditions of Correction of The Technogenesis of The Biosphere hosted by pridnestrovian State University in Chisinau (Republic of Moldova), 2020. (Oral Presentation)
- Lomonosov International Conference at Moscow State University (MSU) in Moscow (Russian Federation), 2021. (Poster Exhibition)
- International Conference in Belgrade (Serbia), 2021. (Oral Presentation)
- Monthly Report for The Symposia of Московское Общество Испытателей Природы (МОИП) organized by Moscow State University (MSU) in Moscow (Russian Federation), 2019-2020. (Oral Presentations)
Honor & Awards
- Progress Prize of Scientific Activities in 7th Postgraduate Science Festival in Fujian University of Technology (Dec. 2009)
- Excellent Innovative Prize of Youth Science and Technology Innovation Contest (2010)
- 3rd Prize of The Postgraduate Science Festival in Fujian Normal University (2013)
- 3rd Prize of The 40th International Competition of Scientific Research Works (2021)
- First-grade scholarship awarded by Fujian University of Technology, China (2009 ~ 2010)
- Second-grade scholarship awarded by Fujian Normal University, China (2012 ~ 2013)
- First-grade scholarship awarded by Fujian Normal University, China (2013 ~ 2014)
- First-/second-year stipend awarded by Shenzhen Government, China (2018-2020)
Участие в деятельности МОИП
- Партнер МОИП